HOW TO MAKE YOUR HOME COOLER THIS SUMMER
Georgia - known for its sweet tea, southern hospitality, soul food, and........its heat. You’ve felt those hot temperatures this summer already, and it doesn’t look like we will be feeling those cool fall breezes anytime soon.
Because of this, we want to give you some tips on how to make your home cooler this summer without any additional costs to you.
1. Turn your ceiling fans on. This will allow you to raise the thermostat setting by about 4 degrees, with no reduction in your personal comfort.
2. Close your blinds. Family Handyman cites that up to 30% of unwanted heat comes from your windows. Basically, when you have your blinds up or open, your home essentially becomes a greenhouse, thus, increasing the heat in your home.
3. Change your air filters. Yes, yes. You hear this all the time. But its because its the truth. Changing your air filters monthly will allow your air conditioning system to work much more efficiently against the heat.
4. Utilize your grill. Using your oven WILL increase the temperature in your home. Utilizing your grill outside will save you that added heat in your house. Besides, who doesn't love that char-grilled taste?
5. Plant trees around your house. This creates shade, which in return, blocks out some of that hot summer heat from entering your home.
6. Avoid putting a lamp or other heat-producing device near your thermostat. The heat causes the thermostat to think it’s hotter than it actually is in your home, and in return, causes your system to run harder. This costs you time and money.